Stay current with our airline news coverage.
LAS VEGAS, United States — After watching international arrivals slip and its most reliable foreign market revolt, Las Vegas is putting the entire destination on sale—and it is doing so for the first time in its history.
Why Sin City Is Courting Canadians Right Now
The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA) says Canada remains the city’s single-largest source of international guests, accounting for more than 1.4 million of the 41.7 million visitors who came in 2024. Yet airline data from Harry Reid International Airport shows summer traffic on Canadian carriers fell by 18 percent, including drops of 33 percent for Air Canada, 62 percent for Flair Airlines and 31 percent for WestJet. In June 2025, Las Vegas welcomed just under 3.1 million travelers, down 11 percent year on year—the steepest non-pandemic decline in a decade. Industry leaders and local officials blame a mix of high prices, a sluggish U.S. economy and a politically motivated boycott that has prompted some Canadians to vacation elsewhere. “We need you, and we miss you,” Mayor Shelley Berkley said at a recent downtown press conference, urging Canadians to reconsider their stance.
The “Fabulous 5-Day Sale” at a Glance
To win visitors back, the LVCVA will launch the “Fabulous 5-Day Sale” from Sept. 22 through Sept. 26. The promotion pools offers from hotels, attractions, restaurants and golf courses across the Strip, downtown and outlying resorts—something the agency has never coordinated on a citywide scale before.
- Discounts on more than 50 hotel packages.
- Twenty percent off tickets for the High Roller observation wheel.
- Half-price green fees at The STRAT’s new Atomic Golf course.
- Unlimited rides on Fremont Street’s SlotZilla zip line for $69.
- Reduced-price gondola rides at The Venetian.
Locals are not being left out; residents with Nevada ID can claim additional perks on dining and shows.
Backed by a $35 Million Ad Blitz
The sale anchors the wider “Welcome to Fabulous” campaign, a $35 million push designed to reposition Las Vegas as both exciting and affordable. Television spots debuted during the National Football League’s season opener, while a three-dimensional billboard in New York’s Times Square and live-music arrivals inside Harry Reid International aim to keep the neon brand top of mind. Stephen Hill, chief executive of the LVCVA, told reporters in Vancouver, “A portion of our friends in Canada are not happy with us right now,” yet he remains optimistic that value-driven partnerships “rolling out here in the near future” can turn sentiment around.
Tourism Numbers Paint a Sobering Picture
Through July 2025, Las Vegas visitation is off 8 percent overall, including a 12 percent slide in July alone. Nationwide figures provide context: U.S. Travel Association data show Canadian trips to the United States are down 25.2 percent year to date, with land crossings plunging 37 percent in July and air bookings down between 35.6 percent and 43 percent compared with 2024.
Economic Stakes for Nevada
Researchers at the University of Nevada calculate that Canadian visitors injected $3.6 billion into the local economy last year, supporting roughly 43,000 jobs. With statewide unemployment standing at 5.4 percent—the second-highest rate in the country—Las Vegas can ill afford to let that spending disappear. Casino corporations are already feeling the pinch. Caesars Entertainment blamed “softer” Canadian demand for a 27,000 room-night shortfall in this year’s second quarter. MGM Resorts International, which operates Bellagio, Aria and several other Strip icons, also called out declining international play.
Political Hurdles and Persuasion Tours
Relations between Ottawa and Washington chilled in early 2025 after U.S. trade disputes and offhand remarks about Canada becoming the “51st state.” In July, Nevada Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto traveled to the Canadian capital, urging what she termed a “de-escalation” of tensions. At the end of August, Hill and a delegation of resort executives went north again—this time to Vancouver—to ask travel partners what it would take to reignite interest. The visit followed a $3.25 million advertising investment targeting Canadian, German and South Korean travelers. Yet many Canadians remain unmoved. Winnipeg resident Martyn Daly told CBC News last month that skipping his annual Vegas trip feels like the only way to voice displeasure with U.S. trade policies. “I just feel obliged to do something,” Daly said in the broadcast interview.
What the Sale Means for Travelers
For anyone eyeing a fall escape, the five-day window could represent the best value Las Vegas has offered in years. Hotels that routinely top $300 a night on weekends are expected to release rates far below that threshold, and bundled packages may include resort-fee waivers or complimentary show tickets. Travelers should register their interest early: inventory is limited, and most participating properties will open booking engines precisely at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time on Sept. 22.
Tips for Travelers
- Set fare alerts on Canadian carriers; historically, airlines match major hotel promos with short-lived seat sales.
- Look beyond the Strip—downtown resorts often add dining credits or slot play to stay competitive.
- Bundle golf or attraction passes at the time of booking to lock in the biggest savings.
- Factor in resort fees; some offers waive them entirely, others do not.
- Check entry requirements: Canadian citizens still need a valid passport but continue to be exempt from the U.S. visitor visa process for stays under 180 days.
Can One Sale Reverse the Slide?
Optimism runs high in Clark County, yet officials concede that five days of bargains cannot by themselves repair a year of weak demand. The LVCVA is already planning follow-up promotions timed to major events, including November’s Formula 1 Las Vegas Grand Prix and early 2026’s uptick in convention bookings. Bill Hornbuckle, president and chief executive of MGM Resorts, acknowledged during an earnings call that “international visitation has been an issue,” singling out Canada as the softest segment. Even so, he emphasized that large-scale spectacles—from NHL games to superstar residencies—remain powerful magnets once economic headwinds ease.
Bottom Line
Whether you are a price-sensitive first-timer or a long-time visitor miffed by rising costs, Las Vegas is offering a rare opportunity to experience its usual spectacle at a discount. If the gamble pays off, Canadian flags could soon be waving along the Strip once again. — as Berkley told reporters in Las Vegas.
More travel news
Reno Airport Maps a More Accessible Journey
RENO, Nev. - Airport official Jena Esposito outlined accessibility resources at Reno-Tahoe International Airport and plans to include accessibility in new concourses.
AI Hotel Mirage Masks Poorly Rated Vegas Stay
Las Vegas, United States - A Booking.com listing for Palette Las Vegas allegedly used altered images to direct guests to OYO Hotel and Casino Las Vegas.
Delta Flight Faces Rogue Wi-Fi Scare After DEF CON
LAS VEGAS, United States - Delta Flight 591 lost passenger Wi-Fi for about 30 minutes after an unauthorized network appeared aboard the post-DEF CON flight to Atlanta.
WestJet Strike Ends After 495 Flights Cancelled
CALGARY, Canada - A two-day walkout over unpaid ground work canceled 495 flights and disrupted travel for 250,000 passengers before a tentative agreement brought crews back to work.